Nawabganj Chromosomes


Nawabganj waits for me! Yes it incessantly does,
Its huge heart is beating loud still audible to,
My ears here in this mayhem of urban life and only,
Destiny holding my hands hard to let me go and meet,
Him, the narrow lanes are still waiting my footsteps,
Where I had ran, walked and hopped numerous times,
The Ganges still flows gracefully, only it misses me,
Bad and my tender feet dipped in its heart, when it,
Caressed me like mother, as I gazed in awe its crimson,
Hued waves of fallling twilight, and that lane going towards the,
Huge black gate and as grand as it stood in quiet and still does,
My beloved ‘Fairy House’, whom I had always looked,
At with my mouth agape and with drooling curiosity as to,
Who lived there? Trying to see the people of that house once,
I seldom asked myriad questions to my elders and them all,
Answered the same, here had lived once the “Zamindars”,
What era that was when my granny told me she had seen,
In her childhood days, the women of that house when stood,
In the galleria were all covered in gold from head to toe, they,
All seemed like goddesses on earth with beauty that was unseen,
Ah! What grandeur it must have been of those bygone days,
But now it is another derelict house on that lane, but my heart,
Still lies there, often roving with the ghosts of ‘Fairy House’,
Oh yes! I am conjuring them through my novel and my poems,
Why deny?  The house has chosen me to let its story be told,
Nawabganj has chosen me to be its darling of a kind, who stays,
Afar but the heart beats silently for him, often we kiss in my dreams,
And I am his muse and raconteur, in my blood is filled,
Nawabganj chromosomes, my dearest Romeo it misses me bad,
And is looking for myriad reasons to bring me closer,
To submerge into his embrace again, that day we both shall be blessed,
When I will be his forever, till then my heart shall keep waiting,
For my sweet home in Nawabganj, who is also my clandestine lover!


 ~Monalisa Joshi~


Comments

Popular Posts