Doctor Faustus Did Warn me that Night!

 

I signed the contract yes, that night!

Doctor Faustus warned me not to,

the knowledge, the sham, the imperative fame,

all will perish, said he, “What did you deal for?”

He had asked, “But, love of course!” I told.

It’s a dreamy realm you are stepping into,

bogus turns fancy, sham turns whim,

soon the music will fade away, you’ll hear,

your wailing, feel the smell of your burning heart,

it’s in the eleventh hour, he told, you will seek,

redemption, but too late then it shall be!

Soon he was ripped, his soul taken by carriers of hell.

‘Homofuge’ the letters burnt on his arms I saw,

his eyes were teary, seeing another innocent soul,

already trapped in the circle of the ominous contracts,

yes, he seemed worried, “Woman you must hurry,

ask for it to be returned, your soul, for it’ll be taken.”

His eyes had socketed out and melted like wax,

in terror, the wise Doctor, I had his hand in mine,

crying my silent tears, didn’t get the chance to explain,

my story was different, whilst I saw,

the chariot of Mephastophilis waited on the verge of earth,

but he wondered why it all didn’t scare me,

conjuring of the Helen of Troy, his retribution,

all happened in front of my eyes, during this bedlam,

he wondered why was I not afraid of the Mephastophilis,

I could only utter these words silently into his ears,

“Hell is empty, and all the devils are here,” he smirked in the last second,

he was at ease now, knowing no harm could befall upon me,

behind me, he saw that man standing, another fallen angel,

from another time, he understood my contract was not from the hell,

from the earth where few of the devils roamed as men,

one had taken me; another hell was not needed for my soul,

I kept standing in silence, in the eleventh hour mourning Doctor Faustus’s tragic end…


Poem by Monalisa Joshi 


                                      Image Credit: Pinterest and Teresa Yeh Photography

Comments

Popular Posts